Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mini Tote Inspiration

Last year Shauna gave me this cute little Longaberger Halloween bag for my birthday, since I'm an October baby. She filled it will all sorts of fun paper things--memo pads, sticky notes, list pads, post-it notes, Thank You cards, doodle book, etc. (We also like paper in our family thanks to our mother.) Here is the bag itself. Anyway, I thought it was such a fun idea that I decided to use it these past couple of weeks for a couple graduation gifts I needed for some girls we know who are graduating from high school. I don't always know what to give people and don't like giving money most of the time, but I thought this might work.
Here are my bags. I embroidered a little design on the outside. I debated on whether or not to put their initial on the outside, but decided to try something different. The inside fabric is also fun.
And yes, I did fill them up with list pads, note pads, some blank cards, memo pads, etc. too. They should be able to use those things while away at college and then can use the little bag for a purse if they'd like too.

Finished Measurements:
9" high x 8" wide x 4" deep
14" long handles

For the handles:
Cut 1 1/2" wide strips of fabric about 16" long, fold in half (3/4" wide now) and press. Insert a 14" long piece of small piping and fold the edges in again (like you are making bias tape) and topstitch close with a zipper foot. Position the handles on the inside of the bag between the two pieces of fabric. Sew around top edge of bag and leave opening to turn. I usually leave an opening between the handles on one side. Turn right side out and press. Topstitch upper edge closed.

5 comments:

  1. I think that is the best gift - way better than money! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use a specific pattern or did you make it up? Very cute style! I think it's a good gift, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute gift idea....I too am obsessed with paper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sort of used my Land's End style pattern--extra small size and then just shortened it a couple of inches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea for a gift!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...