Saturday, April 11, 2009

Recycled Easter Dress

For many years our Grandma J., a product of the Great Depression, has had this little saying on her fridge, “Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". Who knew that little pioneer adage would become pop culture cool. I saw a t-shirt at Sam's club just the other day that had that exact saying on it--all about being green and environmentally friendly. I almost bought the shirt just so I could show people.


Anyway, I have so much fabric in my stash that I really have been trying to make do with what I already have when I am sewing for my kids. So for M.'s Easter dress she wanted this pattern--Simplicity 2715, just like it shows, with white eyelet type fabric.


Well, thanks mom for giving me those white eyelet curtains you no longer wanted. Miss M. has her wish. I cut up the curtains and restyled the sleeves slightly on the pattern so that I could use the edge of the eyelet at the hem and made the dress of her dreams.

Sleeve details--bias tape casing for the elastic.

Fully lined dress--inner lining layer hemmed slightly shorted than outer eyelet layer.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go! Love the idea of reusing things and such a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That turned out really pretty! And white eyelet is still one of my favorites for little girls for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I found a blog that teaches how to make a men's shirt into a skirt. It is so cute!!! here it is: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/44969/how-to-make-a-belted-skirt-from-a-mens-dress-shirt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bunch of t-shirts that have shrunk so I'm going to remake them for Megan. Way to re-use. Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so pretty...what a great way to reuse...i am going to have to put your grandmothers quote up somewhere...as a gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...