Monday, June 29, 2009

Camoflauge Tankinis

I have to say that I debated on whether or not to post these suits. A few weeks back I bought some camoflauge swimsuit fabric, mostly so that I could have some "boy" fabric in my stash to make baby speedos, jokingly, when friends of mine have baby boys. I usually make little baby girl suits for shower gifts. The one time (so far) I have made a little speedo I knew the mom (and dad) would think it was hilarious. And they did. Even if the baby never wears the speedo, it sure makes for a fun time at the shower. Also, my C. wanted that fabric for himself so I could make him a suit.

However, when I brought it home my girls thought the fabric was great. I'm not sure what it says about them that they are all excited and thrilled about wearing camoflauge swimsuits--either they are really comfortable with themselves and their choices, or they are completely whacked!

Regardless, I have been doing some last minute sewing before we leave for our family vacation later this week. Next week we are having a family reunion at Island Park, Idaho and one of the planned activities is a float trip down the river with all the family crew. I haven't made my girls tankinis this year, before now. But I am thinking that especially as we are floating down the river that tankinis will be much easier for bathroom breaks and wearing life preservers, etc.

For L. I used Kwik Sew 2868, which is a basic tankini pattern (women's) with either boy shorts or a panty bottom.

Crossing the straps makes it so that you don't have to worry about them falling down your shoulders as you are swimming. That I can say from experience. I've even gone back and changed straps on suits after one wearing so that we can avoid that annoyance.
Detailing on the neckline and straps.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE using a double (or twin) needle!!!

For the other 2 girls I just tweaked the swimsuit patterns that I already had for them. All my girls like their tankinis especially long--so that when they raise their arms there is still NO skin showing on their bellies.

And as an added side note. We did make C. a camo speedo. His older brother thought it was awful that I did that. But I reminded Z. that when we was 3 yrs. old he too wanted a speedo---only he wanted a leopard print one.
Click HERE and HERE for previous swimsuit posts and tips on making your own.

10 comments:

  1. Where is the picture of the speedo??!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More about making bathing suits, please! I've been wanting to do this for my girls forever, but am very intimidated by this project. Also, JoAnn's swim fabric choices are rather lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know. Jo-Ann's doesn't have a great selection. I have a local store that is AWESOME for swimsuit fabric. Great for me, not so great for everyone else, but I have been known to ship fabric to family members.

    I would just check around your area at other stores, or online. Sometimes you can find great deals. I'll check with one of our cousins who has done that and see what info I can get from her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your girls are not whacked, camo is so popular here with kids and adults alike! Love the double needle detail, looks like it was purchased at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not that into camo-fabric either, but I have to say it looks very cute on your girl. And very well made indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out FABULOUS. Very impressive. I love the camo for girls. Cute cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have any tips on the biding/straps? I was about to start some trial and error to figure that out, but some actual instruction would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned a local store with a good selection? Can you share the name or location? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've really enjoyed your swimsuit blogs. I'm getting ready to make a couple of suits for myself (I can never find anything that fits right!) and I really appreciate your advice. And the last line of this post made me giggle! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...