Thursday, June 2, 2011

Bubble Ruffle Hem Skirt

Here is one of the latest projects that I recently completed for display at my fabric store.

Love, love, love this pattern.  Super cute AND super easy, which is how we like it.  And now that I've seen the pattern I can tell you that you definitely don't need one to make this type of hem.


Here are the basics to making your own bubble ruffle hem skirt.
  • Cut 2 pieces of fabric 9" wide by 1.75 times the width of the bottom of the skirt piece.  i.e. 17 inch skirt would have ruffle piece of approx. 30 inches long. 
  • Sew short edges of ruffle together, RST, so that you make a large loop.
  • Fold the ruffle piece in half, forming a fold on one long edge and the raw edges matching.  DO NOT press.
  • To form the "bubble" you shift the raw edges about 2 inches so that the the short sewn side seams are NOT matching.  It will appear like it is twisting a bit.
  • Then you put in your gathering stitches.
  • Gather and attach to the bottom of the skirt.

They only wanted me to make the top and the bubble skirt, but while I had the pattern in my possession I also made the pleated version.  I used some funky tie-dye that I had done myself after having a bunch of dye left over from some other tie-dye project.  


I think it will look cute with a turquoise or a purple tee.

Notes: 
  • B. is a size 8 and I only used 1 yd. of 45" wide fabric to make this.
  • I added about 3-4" to the length of the skirt pattern so it would at least hit her knees.
  • I made a second bubble skirt (shown below) and on that one I made the skirt part a little wider so it would be a bit more gathered.  I like it better that way. (Plus I love the little bird print from M' Liss I found on clearance at Hancock Fabric's) 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...