Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Prom Dress-Part I

Shopping for fabric....this time around it is for my daughter's first Prom dress and for her BFF's dress.

In February I set her up on my Pinterest account and made a secret board for her so that she could peruse all the modest dresses she wanted and pin what she liked so we could get an idea of what we were going to do.  She and daughter #2 spent a couple of hours looking at pretty dresses and pinning WAY too many.  But they had great sister bonding time over it.

This was probably the top dress overall that she liked.
Latter Day Bride--Shanessa
Color, style, everything.
Not the price, however.
Choke, choke at $475.

After all her pinning we then hit Jo-Ann's and checked out fabric.  Because I knew we could duplicate this dress for way less than that price--even if we spent $100 on materials it would be better.

We found this awesome piece first and decided this is what we were going to work around because it was such cool fabric.

Ruched turquoise taffeta/satin with sequins.

Bought some coordinating taffeta/satin fabric for the skirt and some tulle also.

Her BFF emailed me this picture of what she wanted.




Purple with some black tulle overlay.

Over the weekend she and her mom, along with me and daugther #1, went shopping.
Supplies are all bought.
Now onto the actual cutting, fitting and sewing.
Gotta get these girls to work so that we have plenty of time to put them together.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!!! I'm sure they will turn our amazing. Better than anything you could find in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some gorgeous dresses and the girls will really look pretty in them. Good luck in the sewing process. Keep us posted on the progress. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a big job! I hope I can be that confident when my daughter graduates.

    (I was shopping with my youngest sister a couple of months ago for her wedding dress and while I was there I was looking at all of the prom dresses. I couldn't find one that I would let my daughter wear. I can always hope that modest becomes modern in the next 7 years....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! I can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that fabric & those styles. Can't wait to see what patterns you use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both dresses are gorgeous! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Modest and gorgeous. Bravo to your daughters for understanding the value of modesty! The dresses are not the prize, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me, I need to order fabric for my daughters. She's making her own as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...